AmbientWeather.com: What is Recommended for Cleaning Battery Contacts?
To clean battery contacts or terminals:
- Put on your gloves. Alkaline battery corrosion can burn your skin, so it is important to keep your hands covered.
- Remove the battery and discard.
- Wipe away any large pieces of the corrosion with your wash cloth.
- Pour a small amount of white vinegar into a bowl.
- Dip a cotton swab into the vinegar and rub it along the corroded area. The vinegar will dissolve the corrosion. Repeat until the corrosion is gone.
- Dip your cotton swab into ordinary water and rub along the area that was corroded. This will help to remove any vinegar residue.
- Wipe the area down with a second wash cloth to make sure that everything is dry. The corrosion caused by the alkaline battery will now be gone.